Jul, 4th, 2014
Here are some questions you should be asking your media agency before the proposed plan is approved. Asking a few questions now could deliver far greater results, and save a headache later.
- Are the campaign objectives clear?
- Is the proposed plan going to meet those objectives?
- How will success be measured?
- How will success be tracked? What attribution method will be used to evaluate the influence of various channels towards the goal?
- What placements? Run of site? or specific sections?
- What targeting options will be used? Behavioural / interest? Geo-location? Gender skew?
- What creative formats will be used? Banners? Text links? Content blocks? Advertorials?
- Will the media be ‘always on’ or just on certain times of days / weeks?
- Is the placement on a CPM, CPC or CPA buy, or a combination of all those?
- Is this going to get us the best result? What would happen if we dropped [x placement] or improved targeting on [y placement]?
- What placements / channels are going to be known to deliver the best response? What is going to play a secondary role in results, but still will attract the right audience?
- How do we know we are getting best rates for this placement?
- How will we evaluate the effectiveness of any online video promotion?
- What channels have been left off the media plan? Why?
- How does this online media plan support and complement the PR plan? How does it support and complement the offline advertising plan?
Optimisation & performance
- How will performance be optimised over the scheduled planned period?
- Is the plan set in stone? Can it be changed dynamically as results are gained to push more of what works, and less of what doesn’t?
- Does it make sense for the campaign to be front-weighted, or should a soft launch with a ‘test and see’ approach be adopted?
- How will Creative + Media + Conversion align to the same objective?
- What creative optimisation will take place as the campaign progresses?
- What ‘optimisation’ will be performed ‘on-site’ to maximise conversion? How will landing page testing play a role?
- How often will the outcome be reviewed?
- What happens if despite best efforts it fails? What is an alternative plan?
Many times, media agencies have the answers and just need a little encouragement to draw the best thinking out of them. Ultimately, you need to be able to measure tangible success – if you are not seeing success, the strategy needs to change!